Staff Update #1: March 6
This email is being sent to MPUSD all staff.
The spread and impacts associated with the Novel Coronavirus and COVID-19 (the illness caused by the virus) continue to increase exponentially by the day, and even by the hour. Earlier this week, the State of California declared state and local public health emergencies. We want to take a moment to communicate with staff about our efforts.
The district is taking measures to communicate to and protect students, their families, and our staff. The Cabinet team is working closely with our school nurses, the Monterey County Health Department and the Monterey County Office of Education. At this time, there are no confirmed cases of the virus in Monterey County.
Should the virus make its way into one of our schools, the decision to close a campus and/or quarantine the affected persons will be determined in partnership with county public health officials. The district has initiated planning and preparation for this possibility.
We have sent three communiques to families (and staff members registered on ParentSquare*). They are posted on the MPUSD website at www.mpusd.net/coronavirus/. Some of our families do not speak English or Spanish, and if you hear of families needing additional translation of messages they may visit our website and select any language for translated versions of the messages.
As a reminder to staff, we recommend the following:
- Avoid close contact with sick people
- Frequent handwashing with soap for at least 20 seconds
- Stay at home if you are experiencing flu-like symptoms
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth
- If you notice a student who appears to have a fever, malaise or a chronic cough, please refer them to the office to follow first aid guidelines.
- Individuals with chronic health issues and/or individuals experiencing severe symptoms should be evaluated by a medical professional
- The Center for Disease for Control does not recommend face masks for school staff or students who are coughing.
- See more prevention tips here or here from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- At the elementary level, if your students are inquiring about Coronavirus, this three-minute video easily explains Coronavirus for kids - https://youtu.be/ywU2rK2sdyg.
Over the Spring Break, we will work closely with our Maintenance and Operations staff to enhance our cleaning and disinfection efforts at all sites.
We realize that the rapid development of the coronavirus may create unprecedented challenges and stress for some members of our district family. The 24-hour news and social media cycles have contributed to our collective stress and fears. We will continue to inform staff as more information becomes available.
Thank you for your continued professionalism and dedication to serving and protecting our students, families, and your colleagues.
* If you have not registered for ParentSquare or are experiencing difficulties in receiving the messages, please reply to this email and we will send you an invitation to sign up.