Student Support Services » Medications


MPUSD's Medication Policy

California Education Codes, section 49423, 49423.1 and 49423.5 and Monterey Peninsula Unified School District A. R. 5141.21 allows the administration of medication to pupils only in exceptional circumstance wherin the child’s health may be jeopardized without it, and only when such administration has been requested and approved by the student's parent/legal guardian AND physician. These regulations apply to “over-the-counter” as well as prescription medication.

Medication must be prescribed by a physician (MD), nurse practitioner(NP) or physician assistant(PA) who is licensed to practice in California. Medication must be brought to and taken from the school by an adult, unless the doctor orders that the student may self-administer the medication. Medication must arrive to school in the original pharmacy container, with pharmacy label affixed. Pharmacy label must contain student’s name, as well as the name, dose and route of administration of the medication.

Medications under the jurisdiction of the Federal Controlled Substance Act (such as: Ritalin, Phenobarbital, Vicodin etc.) must be brought to school by an adult and cannot be self-administered. Any medications that are expired will not be accepted. You will be contacted by your school if it is necessary to pick up any expired medications before the end of the school year.

If your student requires medication at school please download the following form and have it completed by the student's physician. Medications will not be accepted without a completed Medication Permit. We appreciate your understanding of these strict guidelines, so that we can ensure the safety of your student and their peers.

Medication Permit

Stock Medications

MPUSD is not currently authorized to stock any medications on campus. This includes:
  • Pain medications (Tylenol, Advil, etc.)
  • Allergy medications (Benadryl, Claritin, etc.)
  • Cold and flu remedies (such as cough drops)

If your child requires any over the counter medications at school please download the Medication Permit, and have it filled out by your child's physician.  Parents will be requested to come administer over the counter medications for students that do not have a Medication Permit already on file.

Medication Disposal

Medications cannot be stored on your child's school campus over the summer recess.

All medications must be picked up by an adult at the end of the school year. The district will make every effort to remind families to pick up their medications, however, any medications that are not picked up by a parent or guardian at the end of the school year will be disposed of.

We appreciate your understanding.